Referencing Styles, Proofreading and Editing
Cite Sources Clearly Every Time
500 words free!
use promo code
What Is Academic Referencing?
In academic writing, authors need to cite their sources. So if you’re a student or a academic, you need to show when you’ve used someone else’s words or ideas. This allows you to do a few things, including:
- Demonstrate your understanding of the subject area
- Show that you have done your research
- Back up your arguments with existing theories or studies
- Credit the work of other writers and researchers
- Prevent any accusations of plagiarism
Furthermore, academic referencing will usually involve two things:
- In-text citations in the main body of your writing
- A reference list or bibliography at the end of your document
How this works will depend on the system you are using. But our expert academic proofreaders can help you ensure that your referencing is always correct.
Referencing Styles And Systems
Proofed’s expert editors can work with a range of referencing styles, including:
We can work with other referencing styles on request, too. Just let us know which system you’re using when you upload your work, and we’ll tailor our service accordingly. For more information on legal referencing styles, such as OSCOLA and AGLC, see our dedicated legal referencing page.
How To Select A Referencing Style
When you upload an academic document, we will ask you to select a referencing style from a dropdown menu. All the styles mentioned above are available here.
If your chosen referencing style is not listed here, select ‘Other’ and use the comment box to let us know which system you’re using. You can also use the comment box to specify which version of a referencing style to use.
What We Do With Citations
When we proofread your document, we will:
- Check that citations and references are formatted correctly
- Ensure that quotations are clearly marked
- Look for missing citations or missing information in citations
- Find and highlight inconsistencies
- Make sure your bibliography or reference list is complete
If we spot an issue with referencing, we will usually leave a comment and suggest a correction rather than making an edit. This is to ensure we follow academic plagiarism guidelines.
Try Us For Free
Try Proofed’s services for free today! Simply upload a 500-word sample of your writing, select a referencing style, and use the code 500FREE at checkout.